Gulf Winds Cares Foundation Provides $20,000 in Scholarship Funding
The Gulf Winds Cares Foundation provided $20,000 in scholarships to four graduating high school seniors, Winfred Brittain, Noah Calvery, Jacob Greeson and Emma Ostrom. Each was awarded $5,000 to further their education at a higher learning institution.
Gulf Winds received 61 applications for the Scholarship Program, designed to support students that are members of Gulf Winds Credit Union in their first year of higher education. “We had a record number of applicants this year,” said Chris Rutledge, CEO/President of Gulf Winds. “The quality of the applications indicates that our future is bright as the next generation of leaders comes into their own.”
Applications are reviewed by a committee consisting of Credit Union employees that evaluate each applicant’s academic achievements, community involvement, personal essay, letters of recommendation and financial need. “Our four scholarship recipients distinguished themselves academically and exemplify Gulf Winds’ commitment to family and community,” said Kurt Stenerson, President of the Gulf Winds Cares Foundation. “We are proud to support the next step in their academic and life journey.”
Since 2007, Gulf Winds has provided $202,500 in scholarships to 57 first year continuing education students. The Gulf Winds scholarships are named to honor pioneer members of the credit union for their dedicated service to its members. In memory of these important leaders, scholarships are established in the names of Rufus Caton, Louis Lambert, Lola Stephens and Al Evans, Jr.
Meet the 2021 Scholarship Recipients
Winfred ‘Wyn’ Ross Brittain
Wyn lives in Brewton and graduated from T.R. Miller High School. He will be attending the University of Alabama Birmingham to study biomedical sciences. Wyn was an active leader in student government, competed in the Science Olympiad at the regional and state levels winning several events, played varsity baseball and participated in Capstone Leadership Academy at the University of Alabama. He volunteered for several organizations including FCA Summer Camp and YMCA Tee Ball Clinic.
Noah lives in Daphne and graduated from St. Michael Catholic High School. He will be attending the University of Kansas to study biosystems engineering. Noah was the Senior Class President of student government, was Co-President and Founding Member of the Health and Wellness Club and was captain of the basketball team. He is active in the community as a volunteer for Christ the King where he leads a vacation Bible school group and volunteers for Coastal Clean Up.
Jacob lives in Cantonment and graduated from J.M. Tate High School. He intends to enroll at Auburn University to study mechanical engineering after starting his college career at Pensacola State College. Jacob has been honored in the Tate Hall of Fame, was an active leader in student government and received the Science Department Award. He has served the community at organizations like Miracle League Pensacola, Ronald McDonald House and Sacred Heart Children’s Hospital.
Emma lives in Gulf Breeze and graduated from Gulf Breeze High School. She will be attending Florida State University to study advertising. Emma has been honored in the Gulf Breeze High School Senior Hall of Fame, was the Senior Class President of student government, lead the Fellowship of Christian Athletes club as President and was captain of the lacrosse team. She has served the community with over 200 volunteer hours for organizations like One More Child and Living Water.
- Gulf Winds Donates $15,000 Worth of Supplies for Hurricane Ida Relief Read More
- Chris Brooks Appointed Board Emeritus After 49 Years of Service Read More
- Chris Rutledge Named CEO of the Year by National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions Read More
- Remembering Our Friend and Board Member, Larry Blum Read More
- Nelson Whaley Appointed Board Emeritus After 31 Years of Service Read More
- Leadership Message Summer 2021 Read More
- Gulf Winds Cares Foundation Provides $20,000 in Scholarship Funding Read More
- Giving Back is in Our Jeans Read More
- Leadership Message Spring 2021 Read More
- Branch Lobbies Reopening Monday, March 29 Read More
- Annual Business Meeting Scheduled for April Read More
- Service Update — Safety is Our Top Priority Read More
- President's Message Winter 2021 Read More
- Announcing the Gulf Winds Cares Foundation Read More
- Candidates for 2021 Board of Directors Election Read More
- 2019 Annual Business Meeting Report Read More
- Branch Lobbies Reopening Monday, October 19, 2020 Read More
- Gulf Winds commits $25,000 for Hurricane Sally Relief Read More
- Leadership Message Fall 2020 Read More
- Important Service Updates - Reopening after Hurricane Sally Read More