Chris Brooks Appointed Board Emeritus After 49 Years of Service
Chris Brooks was appointed to the role of Board Emeritus on July 19, 2021. Brooks transitions to Board Emeritus after 49 years on Gulf Winds’ Board of Directors. Brooks also provided 15 years as a Gulf Winds staff member, including serving in the role of General Manager from 1993-1998. In 2009, Brooks received the distinction of being named the “Volunteer of the Year” by the Florida Credit Union League (FCUL). As an Emeritus Official, Brooks will serve as an advisor to the board of directors and offer guidance based on his experience and expertise in the financial industry.
“Chris Brooks has provided valuable leadership and direction for our Credit Union as both an Official and CEO,” said Board Chair R.L. “Ozzie” Oswald, Sr. “I know he will remain committed to serving our members in his new role and will continue to exemplify the credit union philosophy, People Helping People.”
Brooks grew up in Goodway, Alabama with 8 brothers and 3 sisters. He served in the Army’s 101 First Airborne Division before attending the University of Alabama. After graduating from Alabama in 1959, he moved directly into a position at Chemstrand and became involved with the Credit Union.
“I have been very fortunate to be a part of the long history of this Credit Union,” said Brooks. “I have always received great service as a member. As an employee and Board Member, I tried to treat the staff well and make sure our members were provided top service, now referred to as, Service That Soars Above. I’m happy to continue being a part of the Credit Union.”
Brooks was also an important advocate for credit unions on the state and national level. He was an active member of the Northwest Chapter of Credit Unions, serving as Chapter President for three years. Additionally, he was a Director of the FCUL Board for nine years, serving as Treasurer for seven of those years. He was involved in the Credit Union industry on a national level as a Board Member for the Payment Systems for Credit Unions and the Southeast Marketing Council for the Credit Union Mutual Insurance Society.
“Chris has been a critical leader for this Credit Union and an important advocate for credit unions around the country,” said Chris Rutledge, CEO/President of Gulf Winds. “We are proud to honor him as Board Emeritus.”
The Emeritus Program is available to board members who have served Gulf Winds Credit Union for at least 30 years. This program invites previous board members to attend board meetings and bring their advice to any meeting they wish to attend. Brooks plans to remain involved at Gulf Winds and will continue attending board meetings to help advise the current directors.
- Candidates for 2022 Board of Directors Election Read More
- President's Message Winter 2022 Read More
- Gulf Winds Cares Foundation Pledges $75,000 to Junior Achievement Read More
- Remembering Our Friend and Board Member, Jim Taylor Read More
- The Gulf Winds Cares Foundation Commits $25,000 to support the University of West Florida’s Louis Maygarden Center Read More
- Gulf Winds Donates $15,000 Worth of Supplies for Hurricane Ida Relief Read More
- Chris Brooks Appointed Board Emeritus After 49 Years of Service Read More
- Chris Rutledge Named CEO of the Year by National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions Read More
- Remembering Our Friend and Board Member, Larry Blum Read More
- Nelson Whaley Appointed Board Emeritus After 31 Years of Service Read More
- Leadership Message Summer 2021 Read More
- Gulf Winds Cares Foundation Provides $20,000 in Scholarship Funding Read More
- Giving Back is in Our Jeans Read More
- Leadership Message Spring 2021 Read More
- Branch Lobbies Reopening Monday, March 29 Read More
- Annual Business Meeting Scheduled for April Read More
- Service Update — Safety is Our Top Priority Read More
- President's Message Winter 2021 Read More
- Announcing the Gulf Winds Cares Foundation Read More
- Candidates for 2021 Board of Directors Election Read More