Understanding Regulation D
Accounts that are affected by Regulation D:
- All accounts that are designated as Savings Accounts
- Secondary Savings
Tips to help manage your savings accounts and avoid Regulation D limits:
- Plan ahead and make one large transfer instead of several small transfers. Each of the transfers listed on the reverse (made by calling the Contact Center, Phone Anytime Teller, Gulf Winds Online Banking, etc.) counts as one transaction, no matter what the amount.
- Use an ATM to transfer funds between your accounts - ATM transfers are considered “signature authorized” and do not count as Regulation D transactions.
- Consider visiting a branch or mailing your transfer request. These transfers are considered “signature authorized” and are not limited.
- Balance your checking account on a regular basis. This will help limit the number of overdraft transfers from your savings account, which counts towards the number of transactions allowed.
- We suggest you do not set up ACH automatic debits with merchants or service providers from savings. Instead, set ACH withdrawals to debit your checking account, which is not subject to this regulation.
If you have any questions about Regulation D and how it impacts you, please call our Contact Center at 1.800.650.6328.
Download a pdf file with more information:
Understanding Regulation D (pdf)
Regulation D and How It Affects You
The number of withdrawals and transfers per month from your savings account is limited due to federal regulations.
We understand that it is tempting to keep the bulk of your funds in your Gulf Winds savings account and transfer funds only as you need them to other accounts, or to checking to clear checks and other items.
However, you are permitted up to six (6) per calendar month of any combination of the savings withdrawal transactions listed below.
- Transfers from savings between your accounts (not including payments made to your Gulf Winds loans)
- Transfers from savings made on Gulf Winds Online Banking
- Transfers from savings made by telephone request through the Gulf Winds Call Center
- Pre-authorized or automatic withdrawals from savings, such as insurance premiums or other bills
- Transfers from savings to another member’s account
- Transfers from savings made through PAT, our Phone Anytime Teller service
- Overdraft transfer from savings account to cover checks or other items